A purpose-built recreational area was officially opened by the City of Hamilton in July 2009. The 2,500 sq. ft. square is located on the corner of Church and Wesley Streets and is dedicated to the men and women who with bravery, tenacity and a vision for a better Bermuda, staged a peaceful theatre boycott in 1959 and demanded equality, freedom and the end to racial segregation.
When Voices Rise, the bronze sculpture by Bermudian Chesley Trott, sits prominently in the square and is a stark reminder of the struggle and success of the protesters. Within two days of the protest, significant change to end segregation in Bermuda was implemented and the protest proved that meaningful change could be obtained without the need for violence.